About the Artist: Jan (John) quite a popular historical and
period painter, born 1851 died 1925, also an avid collector, was also famous
for his Napoleonic arms collection, he studied first under Julius Kossak who
was a great historical and equine painter (his paintings fetch great prices
inPoland), then in Munich with J. Brandt (another great orientalist, extremely
popular in Germany and Austria during the turn of century - some of his paintings
are in the US, in Philadelphia) Chelminski worked and was popular in Paris,
Munich, London and New York where he worked for Teddy Roosevelt. He also worked
for the King of Bavaria and Emperor of Russia, and became quite wealthy.
Chelminski painted hunting scenes, sporting events and genere paintings, and
after1890 dedicated himself to the historical painting - especially the Napoleonic
Period, all very detailed and thoroughly researched works.
In 1904 in Paris he published a book LArme Polonaise du Duche de Varsovie
with the description and text by Waclaw Gasiorowski a famous Napoleonic Period
Polish writer of the era. These plates come from that book.
Gembarzewski studied art at the St. Petersburg Imperial Academy
of Art during the 19th Century and was an accomplished painter. He is best
known for his studies on the military uniform of the Polish fighting men from
the 9th Century through the January uprising of 1863.
He was one of the organizers of the Museum of the Polish Army in Warsaw and
its first director. His work is considered legendary in Poland. Most of his
original watercolors were lost or destroyed during the Warsaw uprising of 1944
and the destruction of the city by the Germans following the uprising. During
the postwar period the government published several volumes of his works mostly
from microfiche. His remaining watercolors are mostly in possession of the
Polish Army Museum.
These prints were scanned from the original prints in the Le Sabretache journals
that were printed in 1895. Each print has been carefully restored to all its
original color and vibrancy and enlarged approximately 50 %. The notes to this
series of prints were written by Dr. David Stefancic of St. Marys College
in Notre Dame, Indiana, USA. Dr. Stefancic is one of the most knowledgeable
and dedicated historians of the Polish military in the United States today.